Saturday, July 13, 2013

The letter got wet in tears.

-Shabnam, have you taken Dinner ?
-No ?
-Why ? If you eat , price of rice will rise ?
Shabnam started laughing. I was hearing her laugh. When she laughs it echos a bit which stays a while . I get lost in her laugh.
-Salim, why are you so quiet ?
- I was hearing your laugh
-Why ? what’s special in my laugh ?
- Donno.
-Ohh !!! . Then go and sleep .
-How are you now ? Are you taking your medicine in time ? You dont tell me anything nowadays.
-Yes, I take them in time.
-When are you going to Singapore for your treatment ?
-Donno. IF asked Dad says will get to know in time. Dad comes with hard face from Doctor. He doesn’t wanna tell even what happened to me. I think I’m gonna die soon.
-Take care. Bye
-Please, don’t. Listen to ......
I dropped the line. She made me sad.
Messaages started coming with sorry. It could not make me cool.
Aftersome days, I was in University, attending lecture. A call from Shabnam. I didn’t pick it up. She messaged “Tomorrow is my flight. Can you meet me ? “
In a second, I lost one of my heart bit. Called her as my class finished . It kept ringing “The number you are calling is switched off” .
Called her again at night. She was on the other side with hard voice. I could guess that she cried.
-At what time is your flight tomorrow ?
-At noon.
-Packing finished ?
-Hmm.
-Angry on me ?
-No.
Both quiet for sometime.
-Salim ?
-Hmm.
-You love me ?
-Yes, I do. Can’t you realise it ?
-Then, why didn’t you meet me today ?
-I had to attend classes. So i couldn’t come. Sorry.
-If I don’t come back ever ? If you can’t see me again ?
-You started it again ?
- Okie. I won’t tell it anymore. Tell me, what should I bring for you from there ?
- Bring yourself back for me.
-Hmm, okie, I will.
We both kept quiet again. Night was getting darker.
-You like blue Tees, right ?
-Yes, blue coloured.
-Can you callme in the morning ?
-Yes, I will.
-Okie. Now you sleep. I will sleep too.
-Gnyt.
-Gd nite.
Next day. I could not get her number. Its switched off. I called one of her friends who stays nearby. Se told me Shabnam left for Singapore. Weird !!! . She dint send any message even on FB. She never called me even from there. She was kind of that type .
After two or three months, I got a call.
-Salim.
-Shabnam, why do you behave like this with me ? Couldn’t you message me for once at least ?
-Salim, I got brain tumour.
I got a shock. I couldn’t speak for a while.
-Salim, I couldn’t keep my word. I couldn’t take myself back for you. Forgive me.
Tears started falling from my eyes. I am gonna lose my shabnam from my life. I was feeling helpless.
-I wanna see you Shabnam.
I could hear her weeping from the other side . She put the phone down.
Doctors could not do anything for her. It was too late. Operation was not possible any more. Shabnam was taken to her native place directly. I could not meet her ever in my life.
After some days, a parcel was delivered to me. I opened it. It was a Blue Tee, Polo brand, with a letter in it.
“Salim. I told u, I won’t live anymore. Don’t get upset after i leave. You know me, I’m a strong girl. I can’t explain you even, how I controlled myself when i got to know that I can’t live anymore. I will be there with you, in your songs, in your torn out pages of your poems, in your rainy evening. Keep a bit love for me in your life. Yours, shabnam.”
The letter got wet in tears.

No comments: